1. Which statement about scalar and vector quantities is correct?
2. Which of the following is a unit equivalent to the pascal?
3. A model boat is crossing a stream. The stream is travelling east at a speed of 1.5 m s–1.
The boat is heading north at a speed of 0.5 m s-1.
The magnitude of the resultant velocity is
Use the following diagram to answer Questions 4 and 5:
4. The component of R parallel to the inclined surface is
5. The object in the diagram would
6. In the expression F = 6πηrv
7. A wire of cross-sectional area A and length x is stretched by a force F. The Young
modulus of the material of the wire is E. The extension of Δx is given by
8. On a newly discovered planet, an object of mass 8.0 kg has a weight of 60 N.
The gravitational field strength on this planet is
9. A small bubble is rising through a liquid at a constant speed.
Which row of the table correctly summarises the forces in both the diagram and the
V = viscous drag, U = upthrust, W = weight
The force arrows are not drawn to scale
10. A lift carries people from one floor up to the floor above. Which graph shows how
the acceleration of the lift varies with time for the complete journey? Assume that the
upward direction is positive.